Sunday, April 09, 2006

One a penny, two a penny...

Hot cross buns!! They don't seem to do hot cross buns over here. I saw them in one bakery, and they looked weird (ie. not like "traditional" ones), and we saw some at Whole Foods Market, but they were very small, and still not like the yummy ones you get from Brumbys and even Woolworths!

So I had my first foray this evening in making some myself using a recipe from the Ninemsn website. I've never cooked with yeast before, so I was a little hesitant but they turned out to be pretty yummy!

Next time (which will be in the next few days probably!), I'll put in more sultanas, orange peel, and maybe more yeast. The recipe wanted compressed yeast and I only had the quick rise stuff, so had to approximate what I needed (once again, no experience with yeast), but did ok.

Now after 3 hours of preparation and baking, we get to enjoy hot cross buns!!! It was much easier to just grab a bag while we were at Woolies.... :)

No comments: