Saturday, October 28, 2006

Post surgery report

Well stage 2 of the implant is done. Stage 1 was the bone graft 6 months ago. I wasn't happy with that oral surgeon so decided to go with someone else for stage 2. I'm glad I did as well. Turns out the bone graft failed, and the screw that was half hanging out of my gum wasn't even attached to anything!!

So this guy could see the other dude hadn't grafted enough bone from the x-rays, and was saying depending on how it looked, they may do a connective tissue graft to make sure everything stays in place.

But because the graft didn't take, they had to do another bone graft, taking bone from my sinus cavity, a connective tissue graft which I think they took from the roof of my mouth, and the implant of the titanium screw.

So my poor mouth is feeling quite uncomfortable, my right sinus aches, I have a fair bit of facial swelling, and the roof of my mouth is hurting as well from the tissue graft I assume. I can wear my plate with the fake tooth which helps limit the swelling as well as helps me not look so silly, and I reckon it also stops me playing with all the stitches! They gave us an extra prescription for anti-inflammatories, and also told me to take high dosages of calcium and vitamins C and D to help with the bone healing and strength which certainly makes sense!

So my daily dosages are antibiotics 4 times a day, anti inflammatories starting at 6 a day and decreasing over the next week, painkillers as needed, 3 x Calcium tablets a day, 3 x Vitamin C a day, 2 x Vitamin D a day, and 5 x arnica 3 times a day as well as arnica gel on my face to stop bruising. Anyone who saw my post wisdom teeth photos will understand why I need anti bruising stuff... So that's 35 things in total I'll be taking today. Maybe more if I take more painkillers. Plus my heart tablets gives me at least 37 for the day. Wow. I'll so be rattling!

No comments: