Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Surgery tomorrow

My cardiac surgery is tomorrow! We have to be there at 5:15am, and surgery is at 7:30am. Did you know that there was a 5:15 in the morning?!?!?!

I had my pre-op stuff today - talking to doctors, blood tests, EKG, chest x-ray. Nothing exciting. We asked lots of questions, so feel pretty calm about it all. I'm amazed how calm I am, but I guess it's hard to comprehend that I'm getting major surgery when I feel fine. I've also just been through emotionally traumatic surgery and had a hospital stay just a couple of months ago, so we know what to expect and how the hospital system works.

We just had 2 friends, Briana and Lisa, drop by with a care package. There was a stuffed elephant holding a heart, and they wrapped the heart in bandages. There was a "Box of hugs and kisses" - a box full of Hershey's kisses and Hershey's Hugs chocolates. There was a big box covered in bandaids and inside was a bunch of magazines, Uno card game, a Cranium card game, a card game called "Duck Duck Bruce", a heart shaped box filled with red Jelly Belly jelly beans, and heaps more chocolates. We have such an amazing support network!

For anyone considering visiting - only Andrew will be allowed in ICU, and I'll be there for a day or two. Feel free to come keep him company though. Just give him a call on his mobile to find out where he is. I'll also have my mobile diverted to him.

After ICU I'll be in the Intermediate Cardiac Care Unit (or something like that), and will be allowed visitors. When we lost Joshua they let us pretty much have a free run of visitors given the circumstances, but I believe this time, they'll limit visitor hours, limit time visiting, and make sure things are pretty quiet in the room as I'll need plenty of rest. Once again, I'm sure Andrew will appreciate company though, so feel free to drop in and hang out with him!

Thanks again for everyone's support!

7 comments:

Baby-Jett said...

Yeahhhh go Sarah!!

Ronnie said...

good luck sarah. thinking of you.

ronnie

Cara said...

You are extraordinary Sarah! I woke up early (for me!) to light my "Sarah candle" and "Andrew candle". I am thinking of you today...and tomorrow...and the following...
Love,Cara

Ewen said...

I sneaked a look at geek's blog.

That's great news Sarah! So glad it was successful - esp the aortic valve being saved.

Best wishes for your recovery, and for a worry-free and enjoyable 2008.

Cass said...

Sarah, you're quite remarkable! I love the care package you got, how awesome and what great friends. Fantastic to hear how well you're doing and Andrew keeps a great blog! Speak to you soon, hugs to you.

Ronnie said...

Sarah, so glad things went well. I remember how good you were to me when I was sick 3 years ago. You guys have had a pretty rough trot over the last months and I hope that 2008 will be so much better for you.

Andrew thanks for the updates. You do a great job and I love your writing style.

Happy New Year to you both.

S. said...

I'm so glad to see in Andrew's blog that your surgery went well! Wishing you a speedy recovery and a happy and healthy 2008.

- Sara S.