Friday, March 11, 2005

86k cycle!!!

WOOHOO!!!!! It was such a great ride this morning! Another gorgeous Canberra day. Blue skies, warm without being too hot, and just a really light wind - almost unnoticeable.

I met Kirsty, who lives in the same complex as us, and we cycled in and I debated what ride I'd do. The short ride is just too short. The long ride is too long and too fast. Then there was 2 medium groups - a hilly and a flat. I knew the hilly would be too hilly, but would the flat be too fast? It was also 70k, and given my last long ride 2 weeks ago was 40k and I struggled, should I just do my own thing??

I decided to go the flat medium ride, and on the first hill they dropped me. Great, I thought. But they waited (I wasn't too far back), and I had no problems with the pace from there, and we got to the top of another steepish hill, which I'd taken easy when I started to get the chest pains. At the top I got off my bike and crouched down until they subsided, felt fine, so kept going. We were almost halfway at this stage, and it was a really nice day, and I was enjoying the company of the other in our bunch, so I decided to keep going. As it turned out the rest of the ride was really nice - fairly flat, warm, and hardly any cars. Perfect.

My legs were getting tired near the end, which is to be expected, given that it's been around 4 months since I cycled this far. Interestingly at the end of the ride when we got home, Kirsty who also rode in the same group, said her bike computer said 86k. Mine said 58k. Given that the actual ride we did was 70, and it's about 8 each way to the ANU where we meet, I now know my wireless bike computer is stuffed :-(

So add a bit more onto all the rides I've been doing recently. I thought I must have just been cycling really slow - this has helped the confidence a fair bit!!!

I got home and I was pretty hyper from such a nice ride, but now I just feel tired! Legs are a bit heavy as well. Need a good stretch!!!

2 comments:

Aki said...

Seems you need a new bike computer. Congrats, a double marathon on a bike sounds exhausting.

Spud said...

Good to see you're back on the road again JTI. It's nice to get back out there after a lay off.