Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Alcatraz and Harry Potter reviews

Well. I just finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I won't ruin it for those of you who have not read it but oh my god. The ending was completely different to what I thought would happen that's for sure. It also shapes the last book up to be an absolute doozy!

The book was excellent, very well written once again and an absolute page turner. I started it last week I think, and the first chapter or two were confusing as I couldn't remember what had happened in the last book. Once it started coming back though, and I'd gotten a few chapters in, I couldn't put it down. I had time on Monday to start getting into it again, and I've barely put it down again in my spare moments.

If there's anyone in the world who hasn't read it, GO GET IT NOW!!!!

Anyway, so that's that book. Before that I read Last Train to Alcatraz, an autobiography of Leon Thompson, one of the prisoners who was there. It was certainly an interesting book. The start of it turned me off a bit, as he seemed the sort of person who thought the entire world was out to get him (granted, he had a crap childhood), and it was littered with expletives, and him being very violent to a lot of people. It was also his view on how things happened and how people treated him, and I got the impression that a lot of people tried to help him but he wouldn't accept any sort of help, and was generally very aggressive towards everyone. It was hard to read it and not think "just shut up and listen you fool!!!!".

But it's interesting to read what led to him being at Alcatraz, how events at Alcatraz actually made him a better person (whereas previous prisons made him worse), and what life was like on the island, and how he adjusted to being released directly from Alcatraz.

So definitely interesting, but probably not a book I would read again in the future.

Now I have to decide on my next book....

1 comment:

Aki said...

I've just finished reading the fourth Harry Potter book, even better than the movies, but I think I'll hold off until I see the movies because I don't like knowing what's going to happen. Well, in movies anyway. :)