Friday, April 06, 2007

In search of laksa

So tonight I wasn't feeling 100% - possibly because my belly got very poked in the ultrasound this morning, and I had breakfast and a decent sized lunch (I can't eat much these days!!). So I was not terribly hungry, and definitely not wanting anything too solid. I wanted a nice, clear, liquidy soup. I was thinking of getting some Pho from the local Vietnamese place, but then decided what I REALLY wanted was laksa.

We were at Costco bulk buying ridiculous amounts of crap, and the more I thought about laksa, the more I wanted it. So we went into Downtown Mountain View on the search for laksa. There was a place in Canberra that did FANTASTIC laksa. So tasty and satisfying. THAT'S what I was after!

I thought it was Thai cuisine, so we went searching all the Thai places but nobody had even heard of laksa! So after calling 3 different friends, we finally found someone near the internet. Dan saved us and informed us that it was actually Malay/Singaporean cuisine, and there was a place around the corner from where we were walking which sold it. Woohoo!!

So we went there, and finally got some laksa to take away. Then near the car I realised it was leaking. The paper bag had a styrofoam bowl with a plastic lid, and a Chinese style fold up container which had the noodles in it. Unfortunately the weight of the noodles caused the laksa lid to cave in and laksa to go all through the bag. Ruh-roh!!!!

Lucky my husband is very patient and wonderful, so he drove back to the place we got it from and we got them to get a new bowl of laksa, and they put it in a nice plastic bag!

So we got home and the noodles were thick, and soup wasn't clear :( It was more coconuty than the Canberra place, but it was ok. I much prefer vermicelli noodles in my laksa, but this was still fine. I wouldn't race back there again, I'm keen to find other local laksa places, but it was definitely tasty, and definitely filled the hole without making me ill!

1 comment:

Annie said...

I've never seen so many different restaurants in one street as I did in Mountain View.