Monday, February 18, 2008

Just another update

We're dealing with stuffing the thumb sized hole in my chest with gauze surprisingly well. I dread gauze changing time, and it stings a fair bit, but we haven't thrown up, passed out, thrown a hissy fit about having to do it or anything like that. I don't even take Percocet to get me into a nice drug induced haze anymore.

It hurts a little, and stings on and off during the day, but the overall pain I was having is so much better now. I have no idea if infection, or abscesses cause muscular pain, but it all pretty much went back to normal a day or so after it was drained and I started on antibiotics.

All I can say to anyone else going through a similar thing is to trust your instincts. I knew on Monday that something was wrong - the incision was sightly more red, slightly more raised, a little itchy, there was fluid under the incision which was causing the scar to widen a bit, and I was just feeling off. I should have pushed harder with the docs, but I was too exhausted and emotional from having a night in ER and no sleep.

I have no idea how much of a difference it would have made if it had have been drained on Monday. Given how fast it seemed to go from looking ok to bursting, I assume it was all pretty gross underneath anyway, but it would have been a few less days of pain, and I wouldn't have had to have woken up with pus everywhere...

2 comments:

Baby-Jett said...

Oh Sarah, I hadn't seen your blog for a couple of weeks and just saw everything you've been going through. You are a brave girl!

Tanya said...

Wowee, lady, you've had a rough time. You are old school -awesome- and deserve a year of lovely things. Thinking of you a lot. T.