Monday, January 02, 2006

Book 1 of 2006 - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell will be my first book of 2006. My aunt Glenda bought it for me for my birthday at the end of 2004, and I never got around to reading it. I did start, but the book is nearly 800 pages long, and the last thing I felt like doing in a gorgeous summer was sitting down and read a really long book! So I read a few chapters, put it down and never read it again.

It's by Susanna Clarke, and is her first book. It's won many awards, and is highly recommended and was even named Time magazines number 1 book for 2004. The book has been coined as an adult Harry Potter (as in aimed at adults, rather than a Harry and Hermione Mills and Boon....).

Glenda did say it takes a little while to get into, but once you do it's excellent. I remember last time starting it I was quite bored with it, but I'm now up to page 64 and enjoying it much more than last time! It helps that the last week or so has been very windy and rainy, and today I finally got a chance to curl up under the doona with a cup of tea and read, which is my favourite rainy day activity! It puts me in a much better frame of mind for reading!

I'll give a review when I'm done.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, that's my favourite rainy day activity too !

I'm up to book no. 2 of 2006 already! Yesterday I managed to read Patricia Cornwell's latest in one afternoon. A book I was given for Christmas, not one I'd ordinarily buy, but good nonetheless. Now I'm onto The Tale of Genji which is about 1000 pages so it's going to take me a little longer ;-)

I haven't read JSMN; looking forward to reading your book review

Louise said...

after reading your post yesterday, I went and got this book from the library today. It's HUGE, and has really small type! Will probably take me the whole 3 weeks loan to get through it. :-)