Sunday, January 30, 2005

Getting back into the swing of things!

Ok, enough of this "other" crap I've been blogging about.

As of tonight I am back into training! I got completely inspired over the last few days.

It started with doing a short aquathlon last Thursday night. I'm not sure if I'm over my virus yet (bloodtests later this week), so I decided to give the aquathlon a go, take it easy, and just see how it went.
I felt embarrassed to be doing such a short distance (300m swim/3k run), and was even more embarrassed to be doing so bad. So I struggled through it, but felt fine health wise. I felt fine the next day as well which was good.

Friday after work I went out to the bike leg of the Sri Chinmoy Ultra triathlon (400k bike leg!), and cheered on the guys out there competing, and assisted in supporting one of the guys. It was really inspiring, and you could almost FEEL the determination of everyone out there!

Sunday I did the 40k bike leg of the Canberra Capital tri as part of a team. I haven't done anywhere near enough training to do the race on my own, and really enjoyed being part of the event! I was going to be happy if I did anywhere near 1:30, and ended up doing it in 1:19, which meant I averaged a bit over 30kph, which I was very happy with!

So these 2 "races" I did have shown me that I really need to get back into training, and the ultra tri as well as the races have given me the motivation to get back into training!

I've now got 3 goals.

1. March 5 - Sri Chinmoy Classic distance triathlon
2. May 15 - 12 hour endurance cycle at Eastern Creek raceway (2 person female team)
3. A half marathon. I was under the impression that there was a half as part of the Canberra Marathon, but apparently not! So if anyone knows of any half marathons around April, please let me know!

Now to devise a training program to accommodate these goals.... Any help appreciated :-)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done, Sarah, on getting those goals up! You'll do it in spectactular style for sure!

There's the Weston Creek, half marathon on March 13 in Canberra; have you thought of it? Very best wishes... LL

Sarah said...

Thanks guys!

I did think about Weston Creek half, but it's a bit too close, and also the weekend after the Sri Chinmoy classic.

Aki said...

The more official Canberra Half Marathon is in May, and July there's the Sri Comnway(sp?) one. The later involves running laps so I've heard and hurts because it's in winter. Lol, sounds like fun!

Sarah said...

Thanks Aki! I think it's the Sri Chinmoy race you're talking about :-)

I'll look into them!

Carolyne said...

Hi Sarah - well done in the Tri!

In March there is the Weston Creek Half Marathon (you could join the slow lane with Aki and I) http://wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/~vsj110/HalfM/half.htm The Canberra Half Marathon in May http://www.canberrarunner.com.au/

and the Sri Chimnoy in June. However the Sri Chinmoy run is great for support, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first half - often extrememly cold (snowing!) and 13 1 mile laps around Telopea Park (not so inspiring).

Sarah said...

March is definitely too soon!!!

I'll look at May - I probably need a good few months of training!!

Carolyne - where do you swim?