Friday, January 21, 2005

Theo's take-away Ainslie, ACT

Never go here!!!!

We've been moving all day so worked up quite an appetite. We went down to Theo's take away in Ainslie as we decided hamburgers would be good. Andrew had been there once before and had a ham and cheese toasted sandwich which was pretty dodgy (no idea how you stuff a toasted sandwich).

So we got there and they had a Portuguese chicken burger which I thought sounded yummy. It had optional hot sauce on the small menu outside, but didn't mention hot sauce on the main board inside, so figured you had to ask for it. So my burger comes and the first bite has a bit of an spicy aftertaste. I wonder at this stage if they've added the hot sauce. Andrew took a bite and agreed that the burger did have a bit of a "bite" to it. I then took another bite and oh my god. It was SOOOOO hot! My mouth was burning, my eyes were watering, my nose started running, and it actually hurt to breathe as the back of my throat was so on fire. I drank heaps which did nothing, and Andrew was marvelling at the fact that he'd never seen such a reaction to hot stuff! I'm generally not too bad with spicy things, but this was ridiculous.

When I could finally talk again and didn't have to keep rubbing my nose to stop it dripping everywhere I went in to ask if that was how it was supposed to be! I told them that on the small menu it said that the sauce was optional, and it didn't mention it at all on the large menu, so I assumed it wouldn't have it on it unless you asked. She then proceeded to tell me that it wasn't that bad, and that it isn't optional, it's what it comes with. I told her that if they're going to have such a spicy burger, that they should mention it on the board, and I had just wasted nearly $6 on something I couldn't eat. She said they wouldn't put it on the board as that's just how it came. As far as I'm concerned, that's ridiculous. If they're going to make something that hot, they should warn people!!

They have a sign that says "If you're happy with us, tell people, if you're not happy, tell us". Well I told them, and they didn't care! If she had of just said "oh, I apologise, it does come standard, and yes, it probably is a good idea to mention it on the board" I would have been happy. I didn't want my money back, and I didn't want them to remake it without hot sauce (although it would have been nice, since I was really hungry!), i just wanted to make them aware of it, and let them know they should tell other people about it. The fact that this woman was so rude to me, is what makes me want to now tell everyone how crap they are!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now you know what I've got to do just to stay in the human race!

Hope you get a decent pie next time! I couldn't eat anything half way as 'hot' as that one. LL

Stripes a go go said...

Dear Sarah,

I hope no-one pays attention to your pathetic drivel you call a blog.
In fact I find the notion that you need to post this story about the highlight of your week and tarnish the name of a fine establishment pathetic but as a satisfied customer I feel I must have my say.

I have been to this particular take-away many times and have never encountered such a problem with food or staffing. Perhaps youre leaving out some minor details about your disposition at the time.

For someone who writes such a extensive blog you also seem to appear to have some reading difficulties. Is English your first language? The menu cleary states that the Portuguese chicken burger comes with hot piri piri sauce, to not have the sauce is optional.
I’m sorry on behalf of the Canberra community that someone not stroking your pathetic ego has got you so irate.
Get a life and post some picture about it.